Monday, January 14, 2013

The Great World of Banavar

Welcome to the world of Banavar!

My name is Adam Gonzales. It has been my greatest dream for some time to become an author. I think that, maybe, at one point I wanted to write so that I could be famous and make some money (and, let's be honest, that certainly still applies), but now I do it for the sake of wanting to tell people a story--and wanting absolutely everyone to hear it.

At first, when I started coming up with the idea for The Magnifier, I was doing it to get away from the enormous monster that is my Tarterrior Series. I needed a break, I'll admit it. But the more and more that I started toying with the idea of this new--more vanilla--fantasy world, the more I came to enjoy it. It would allow me to write something new and fresh. And, if successful, it would be a whole lot easier to get the Tarterrior Series out the door. Publishing a stand alone story is easily more tangible than selling a series that has not one book that can be read by itself, out of context. And so I started restlessly working on my new book. And enjoying it. A lot.

But it still wasn't enough. I couldn't leave it alone: I HAD to tamper with it and turn everything on its head.

That's about the time that Jason Vunder, my good friend, started tossing me small ideas from the side while I began brainstorming aloud with him. Then, something happened. We got the crazy idea to create this world, this Banavar, together. It was brilliant: things simply clicked. And it wasn't long before we had a fully fleshed-out and working world on our hands.

When Jason got on board with my story, it became clear that he was having as much fun as I was taking a traditional and stereotypical fantasy world and turning it upside down. The Nibelung--a collective race comprising of orcs, goblins, ogres, trolls, kobolds, and bugbears--these were our good guys, the peaceful race. Our elves still dwelt in forests and jungles, but were somewhat primal and uncivilized, built on a society of tribal warfare. Even the dwarves, a race normally built around greed, lusted only for strength to allow them use of magic. Nothing was what it seemed. And we liked it.

I didn't take long for us to create race that would be our anchor towards evil. Sure, pitching the elves and dwarves against our peaceful Nibelung would be quite a story, but it wasn't enough for us.

Thus the Therians were born.

A race of almost Were-creatures who had bee corrupted by a great evil, was an extremely exciting thought. Six sub species were created--each centered around a different type of animal. The males sacrificed most of their humanity to become massive and bestial representations of these animals, while the females retained many of their human qualities in an attempt to appear enticing and alluring. Phagas, Merrows, Zerda, Rhoxes, Brownies, and Avians. Beetles, Fish, Foxes, Rhinos, Cats, and Birds. Not exactly a terrifying force at face value, to be sure, but when we were done with them, we knew we had created something perfect.

We had created Banavar.

It is our goal to finish this book by the end of the year, and we are definitely trying to do everything we can to make this a reality. We will do our best to occasionally post something on this blog in order to update, or give some small snip-its into our writings, while trying to answer any questions (if any) people might have about our world. We have our plot, our characters, our map, and our story. Now all that's left is for us to get it out there.

So we hope you can join us on our adventure as we follow a kobold, an elf, a dwarf, a brownie, an orc, a warg, and a bugbear as they do all that they can to save the great world of Banavar!

No comments:

Post a Comment